Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Neat Handwriting pays off




A few weeks ago, I got an email from a really nice lady. Seems she and her kids had been drawn a few weeks ago at a gig at Disney, but her husband didn't sit for his caricature and later decided he wished he had. I was the only artist at the event (like usual). So, the next day, they went to MGM and got him drawn at the retail stands. They hated it!

Well, when they got back home, they somehow tracked me down. They've now commissioned me to do a caricature of the husband/Dad. At first I thought Disney had just given her my business email (www.caricatureconnection.com). Then I realized she had written me at my PERSONAL email. Curious, I asked her how she'd found me. Seems she'd read my signature on the pics I'd done for her and the kids, and GOOGLED my name. She'd shot photos of me drawing the kids, so that also helped her, since I seem to pop up on GOOGLE an annoying amount of times. What's really amazing here is that I usually have REALLY crappy handwriting. Just ask my eight year old, who's always buggin me about it. But, I guess I've learned my lesson. I never would've gotten this job if she hadn't been able to read my signature.
Thank God this night I wrote legibly. Good, clear handwriting can be a real sales tool in and of it's own. Particularly when you have a weird name like mine.

Here's the photos she sent of that gig:

10 comments:

Angie Jordan said...

Great Illustrations Keelan!!
I enjoy your "rear view" drawings, as well!

And who is that beautiful blonde next to you? LOL!

Care to link blogs?

Keelan Parham said...

Thanks, Angie. That is indeed my lovely wife.

By the way, I click on your name, to see about linking blogs, though, and nothing comes up!

Eduardo González said...

In my case the lady would've looked for ages! I guess we are too many "Gonzalez"in the world.By the way, she took very nice shots.

Keelan Parham said...

Thanks, Eduardo. Yeah, "Keelan Parham" is a bit more unusual name, I guess, than ANYTHING Gonzalez! Good point! It wouldn't narrow it down too much, no matter HOW neatly you wrote!

Angie said...

Hi Keelan!

My blog is
http://angiejordan.blogspot.com/

Did you type it in or click on a link somewhere? If you clicked on my name, it should have taken you to my blog.
Let me know if it works!

Thanks and I'll be checking back again! :)

Steve Hearn said...

Great to hear how this all worked out for both your customer and you! I actually preprint my signature on my paper for these reasons as well as saving a few seconds on every drawing!

Keelan Parham said...

Angie,

For whatever reason the other day when I clicked on your name, it just went to a blank page. Today it's working. Weird...

Beast said...

Maybe she just did a search on caricaturists with big hair and shiny white teeth.

Beast said...

Maybe she just did a search on Caricaturists with big hair and shiny white teeth.

Keelan Parham said...

whatever do you mean?