Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Toon Weekly: Zombie!

Well, ya know, I went around and around on this Toon Weekly challenge again. Almost thought about not participating for the first time. See, I don't like Zombies (sorry, Justin). It's the whole evil supernatural thing. I kinda like the whole "apocalyptic, end of the world, virus that wiped out humanity" zombie, ala "28 Days", but even if I drew with that in mind, it would still look like a "regular" Zombie to the rest of the world. My first thought, then, was to do this:

Zoom Bee!!! Get it?

Well, what can I say? I liked "Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew" when I was a kid, and DC recently came out with a new version of it, which my nine year old daughter has been digging. So, anthropomorphic animals are on my brain. Then, I decided on another angle....


I've had this extreme christian, fallen angel and vampire butt kickin, version of a Punisher/Hellboy type story in my head for years that I've mentioned ever so briefly and cryptically on the blog before. So, I decided this character would be adding zombie butt kickin to his repertoire as well... Kinda sloppy, kinda unclear in spots, but I like the sketchy, almost woodcut look to it. Kinda fits the story, to my way of thinking. You just know that zombie is about to get a hurtin....

3 comments:

Ted said...

Like them both!

Love the dark feel to the second one. Great blacks!!

Not liking mine as much now....

Kenny Durkin said...

Great minds...well, you know the rest.

michele nichols said...

You know what? I used to do tons of linocuts (in fact my blogger profile pic is a good example), and that's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this. Very dark, very cool.